Last Updated: August 2021
- What personal information we collect about you
- How we use your personal information
- How we may share your personal information
- How we protect your personal information
- How long we keep your personal information
- Your choices regarding your personal information
- International transfer of your personal information
- Information specific to the European Economic Area
“Personal information” or “personal data” means information that relates to an identified or identifiable natural person, such as your name in combination with place of business, your e-mail address, physical address, or mobile number.
Links to Third Party Sites
Information In Regards to Children
We do not intend to collect personal information from anyone under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years old, you must ask a parent or other appropriate adult to do any of the following for you:
- Contact Trillion Trees through the Website or through other means; and/or
- Make a donation to Trillion Trees.
1. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
Trillion Trees collects personal information from and about our Website’s users, both directly when you provide it and automatically while you visit the Website. Trillion Trees also may collect personal information off-line during direct interactions with you. We describe below the data that we collect about you.
A. Personal Information You Provide through the Website: The Website allows users to submit personal information through the “Get in Touch” option, by contributing online, and from time to time, through online participation in awareness raising events (e.g. pledge drives, electronic RSVP, etc.). The personal information you may submit through the Website includes:
i. For “Get in Touch”: Name, email address, and any personal information you provide in your message.
iii. For awareness raising events: Trillion Trees will sponsor short-term awareness raising events which include online participation. The personal information you submit through online participation in an awareness-raising event may include first and last name, contact information, RSVP (as applicable), and any other information you provide as part of your online participation.
You are under no obligation to provide us with personal information. However, Trillion Trees will not be able to process your communication with us, accept an online donation, or manage your participation in awareness raising events unless you share the personal information described above with us.
B. Information Collected Automatically: As you navigate through, and interact with, our Website, we collect certain information that is automatically recorded from the computer, smartphone or other electronic device (“device”) you use to visit the Website. This may include information about your device and browsing actions, such as your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address.
When you direct your browser to our Website, the Website uses browser cookies, which are very small data files transferred to your device, to collect information. These data files also include session cookies that enable certain features on the Website and help us understand how visitors interact with the Website. These session cookies are deleted when you exit the Website.
C. Personal Information You Directly Provide Off-Line: From time to time, Trillion Trees will collect personal information from you other than through the Website. For example, we may collect your personal information when you sign-up to receive information during an in-person Trillion Trees awareness raising event or if you send personal information to Trillion Trees by post. The personal information you may provide off-line may include: name, contact information, and further engagement interests (e.g. marketing materials, collaborations, donations/funding sources, etc.)
2. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use the personal information that we collect through our Website and/or direct contact with you to meet our legitimate interests as a charitable venture. These purposes include:
- To deliver Website content to you;
- To process and respond to any communication you send to Trillion Trees;
- To market and publicize Trillion Trees’ charitable mission;
- To administer the Website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data); and
- With respect to information collected by cookies, to facilitate your use of our Website, analysing usage by visitors, and improving user experience.
The Program does not use your personal information for marketing purposes unless you affirmatively agree or opt-in to such usage. Marketing may include sending you communications about our charitable mission, promoting our awareness events, and requesting donations. You will be able to opt-in to receive marketing communications during various awareness raising events. If you do not wish us to use your email address or other contact information for our direct marketing purposes, do not select the opt-in option when participating in the event. If you initially opt-in but change your mind, you can opt-out by: sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com.
We rely on several legal grounds when we process your personal information. Trillion Trees will process your personal information with your consent. We also may process your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests in advancing Trillion Trees’ charitable mission and as required by law to fulfil Trillion Trees’ legal obligations.
3. HOW WE MAY SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties. The following are some of the ways we may share your personal information:
- Collaborators and Affiliates: Trillion Trees is a non-profit venture supported by our Collaborators BirdLife International, Wildlife Conservation Society, and WWF-UK. Additionally, one of the missions of Trillion Trees is to connect funders with ventures to advance Trillion Trees’ charitable mission (“Affiliates”). We may share your personal information with these Collaborators and Affiliates for purposes of fulfilling our charitable endeavors.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We may share your personal information with third-party service providers to help us provide services to you. For example, we may disclose your personal information to our Website host to process any information you send through the “Get in Touch” form. We will require any third-party service provider, by written agreement, to provide safeguards for your personal information similar to the ones that we provide.
- Required Disclosures: We may be required to share personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, civil discovery request, other legal process, or as otherwise required by law.
- Legal Compliance and Protections: We may disclose personal information when we believe disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, report suspected criminal acts, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Trillion Trees, our users, or others. This includes exchanging personal information with other organizations for fraud prevention purposes.
Trillion Trees does not share your personal information with third parties so that they can use your personal information to advertise the third parties’ products or services to you.
4. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The security and confidentiality of your personal information is important to us. We have technical, administrative, and physical security measures in place to protect your personal information from unauthorized access or disclosure and improper use. For example, access to your personal information is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the personal information to perform a specific job are granted access to personal information. Please note that despite our reasonable efforts, no security measure is perfect or impenetrable, so we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
5. HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will keep your personal information only for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we collected it, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your personal information for longer to resolve any disputes or in the event of litigation. You may request that we delete your personal information as described in the “Your Choices Regarding Your Personal information” section below.
6. YOUR CHOICES REGARDING YOUT PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can access and change personal information that you provide to us by submitting a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. In some circumstances, you can ask us to delete your personal information by submitting a request to email@example.com. Trillion Trees will respond to all requests in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Additional rights of users located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) are described in Section 8.
7. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
Trillion Trees and the Website operate out of the United Kingdom. However, one of the Collaborators, Wildlife Conservation Society, as well as some Affiliates are based outside of the UK and the European Economic Area (“EEA”), including some located in the United States. The data protection laws in these third countries may provide less stringent protection for your personal information than applicable data protection law in the UK, theEEA, or your country of residence. To the extent we share your personal information with these organizations to fulfill the purposes identified above, we rely on your consent to this transfer of personal information. To the extent that BirdLife International and WWF-UK (both based in the UK) share personal data from residents of the EEA / UK with WCS and any Affiliates to fulfil the purposes identified above, they will use specific contracts approved for use in the UK which give personal data the same protection it has in the UK. For further details, please contact us.
8. INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA
The information in this section applies to residents of the EEA.
Individuals in the UK and EEA (collectively, “EEA Individuals”) are not required by law or by contract to submit any personal information directly, in-person to Trillion Trees or through the Website. Providing personal information is necessary to submit a “Get in Touch” form, to make a donation, or to participate in an awareness-raising event. Trillion Trees will not use personal information collected from EEA Individuals, whether through the Website or off-line, for automated decision-making, including profiling.
EEA Individuals have the right to access their personal information collected by Trillion Trees and to request that Trillion Trees update, correct or delete their personal information as provided by applicable law. EEA Individuals also have the right to object to, or restrict, Trillion Trees’ processing of their personal information.
Right to Object to Processing for Direct Marketing or Legitimate Interests:
EEA Individuals have the right to object to the processing of their personal information for purposes of Trillion Trees’ direct marketing or legitimate interests.
Right to Data Portability: EEA individuals have the right to data portability in relation to their personal information they submit to Trillion Trees. Subject to certain limitations, the right to data portability allows EEA Individuals to obtain from Trillion Trees, or to ask Trillion Trees to send to a third party, a digital copy of the personal information that the individual provided to Trillion Trees. EEA Individuals’ right to access their personal information includes their right to receive a copy of all, or a portion, of their personal information in Trillion Trees’ possession as long as Trillion Trees’ providing the personal information would not adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others.
How to Withdraw Consent: EEA Individuals may use the contact information in Section 6, above, at any time, to withdraw their consent for the processing of their personal information where Trillion Trees requires their consent as a legal basis for processing their personal information. Any withdrawal will apply only prospectively, and Trillion Trees will continue to retain the information that EEA Individuals provided before they withdrew their consent for as long as allowed or required by applicable law.
Right to Lodge a Complaint: EEA Individuals also have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant data protection authority if they believe that their personal information has been processed in violation of applicable data protection law.
4839-9842-6851.3 / 071693-1022